Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Her Majesty, The Decemberists

On Saturday night Russ and I went to the Decemberists concert at Stubbs. Who are the Decemberists, you ask? Well, see this post. They're a band that I've adored for quite some time.

When I was on my LDS mission, in Kahalu'u, I found a BYU-Hawaii newspaper while cleaning out a drawer full of Ensign magazines. One of the articles caught my eye. The article was about this band called "The Decemberists" and their recent concert at BYU-Hawaii. I distinctly remember feeling that when I got home from my mission that I would love this band.

Well, I returned from Hawaii and forgot those feelings. Until about 2008. It was around this time I stumbled upon The Decemberists and fell in love with their music.

So this year, for my birthday, Russ bought me tickets to their show! Here are the highlights:


  • We got there before the opening band and staked out our position (about 15 ft. from the stage). After a few minutes I utilized the port-a-potties so I wouldn't have to go in the show.
  • We played Words With Friends through the opening band and checked Facebook. The opening band, "Our Lives", was just okay. They had a girl in the band playing the violin and the cello but you couldn't hear it. I was sort of disappointed.
  • After a 40-ish minute break in-between sets (I think we were about to mutiny due to the delay past 9 p.m.) the Decemberists made their entrance. They talk a lot about Oregon in the opening schpeal and it was here that I learned that Austin and Portland have some sort of rivalry. That made me a little sad. Because Austin is the BEST!
  • They played a LOT of songs from 'The King Is Dead', their  new album. Which is fine. 
  • But FINALLY! They played Crane Wife 1-2-3. I'm not ashamed to say that I cried through the Crane Wife 1 and 2. I should probably say that I bawled. Because I did. Those two songs just break my heart! And I must say, this is the first time that I have cried that much at a concert. But I couldn't help it. It was magical.
  • After the Crane Wife songs, they played the Rake song. The crowd went from melancholy to fierce air punching. It was quite enjoyable. 
  • From there they played a lot of other good songs that we enjoyed. We had to take a break because I grew tired of standing so we went to get a Dr. Pepper. We had to go inside to get a Dr. Pepper, where I discovered there's a BATHROOM accessible to concert goers. Word to the wise for future Stubbs concert goers, don't use the port-a-pottie! There's a inside bathroom available.
  • After watching a drunk man completely face plant into the concrete and Russ waiving a security guard over to help him, drinking down our Dr. Pepper's, and watching the crowd perform jigs akin to riverdance, the Decemberists left the stage. For the first time.
  • The Decemberists came back out to play 'Eli, the Barrow Boy' (which always reminds me of my nephew Elliott) and 'The Mariner's Revenge Song' (which resulted in more spontaneous jig-dancing from all concert attendees. 
  • The Decemberists came back out again and played June Hymn. 


I don't think I stopped smiling the whole night. It was so fantastic. We skipped back to our car with glee in our hearts. Thank you, Decemberists. Thank you, Russ.

Our failed attempt at a photo before the show

The Decemberists are coming back to Stubb's in August. Want to go?





No comments: