Friday, July 2, 2010

Thump. Thump. Thump.

I can't really explain my love of Central Texas. I just happened when Russ and I moved here, I fell in love with Central Texas. I love the rivers, the heat, the food, the style, and on and on and on.

One event that I adore to attend every year is the Luling Watermelon Thump.

Now Luling, is an oil town. It smells like oil. There are oil pumps all over the city. I could never stand this if I lived there. But it's delighting to me whenever I visit.

And about that thump... this is year 57 in celebrating the H2O fruit. People work on the Thump year round. It's a full time job. We watched the auction this year and the #1 melon went for $22,000. Total raised from auctioning of watermelons: $100K.

Seed spitting. So many people want to compete, that you only get to do it if you've won before or if your number is drawn. Russ and I were not drawn this year. : (

Lastly, the Thump has great food. Watermelon lemonade. Fried cheese (see above). Crawbish (aka "mud-bugs"). And my favorite, Corn on the Cobb, dipped in a jar of melted butter.

I love the Thump.

2 comments:

Hilary said...

It seriously pains me that we weren't there with you!

Cassie said...

Sounds heavenly. HEAVENLY. Especially the corn on the cob.