But at the same time, I'd like to know where that money goes. I'm patriotic about it until I know it's being wasted. Then I get mad.
I guess I'm not the only one who feels this way, because the story told about getting a receipt showing where your tax money is going. When I got home today, I checked it out. The White House has the site. (click here to see it).
Here's our receipt:
* You can also see a break down for national defense. For example, $15 went to the FBI from my income taxes. That seems like a deal!
Here are a few thoughts after looking at it:
- Job and Family Security: tab there's a section that has $24.22 going to Railroad retirement. I'd rather that went to education. Railroad retirement? Really? On top of my $222.78 that goes to federal employees (Also under the "Job and Family Security" tab). Seems like double dipping.
- Education and Job Training: seems legit. I would be willing to pay more in taxes for this though.
- Veterans Benefits: it says I pay $24.22 for education. Umm... again, I would pay more for this...
- I'm fine with the Natural Resources tab. Makes me want to go to Yellowstone.
- International Affairs: I have a friend who works at an embassy in the Pacific. $29.00 of my tax dollars go to him (Your welcome Chris!)
- Agriculture: Again, I'd pay more. Let's take down that Monsanto Company. I support local farmers.
But the one most upsetting to me:
- $19 for Response to Natural Disasters???? NO WONDER FEMA IS SO BAD!!!
What do you think about where your tax money is going?