Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Best Compliment I've Received... In a While

I was sitting in class this last week, waiting for the class to start. The class didn't start for another 15 minutes, but I was stressed. I was thinking about the impending finals and taking Practice Court in the Spring.

I'll be honest, I've been so stressed that I haven't been a very good friend lately. I'd turned down multiple lunch offers from friends and rolled my eyes when my friends at law school said something silly to try to lighten my mood.

As I sat in class, my friend José came in. He had just returned from lunch- one that I had declined to go to. José walked right up to me and started asking me questions about stuff that had been talked about over lunch. Now, José is from Arizona. He told me that at lunch they'd talked about Mormons. He asked me if I was a typical Mormon. (I laughed a little at this point. I mean, that's like asking if I'm normal). He went on to explain that most Mormon women he knows wouldn't go to law school.

I responded that he's right. Most would not go to law school. But most still value education. We went back and forth a little bit. But basically I explained that Mormons come from a lot of different standpoints- some are Democrat too! Really! I explained that my choice to go to law school came from many spiritual impressions to do so.

Ok, so here's where the best compliment comes in. I said to José, "I guess I'm different because family isn't as important to me." José was shocked! He responded, "That's not right Chow. You put Russ before everything else. One thing I've noticed about you is that while law school is important, you have always put your family first."

That may not seem like a nice compliment to you. But for me, I've heard that I don't put family first from other people. And after people tell you something for so long, you start to believe it.

So thanks José for reminding me that I'm just fine the way I am. I may not be the cookie cutter, typical Mormon girl. But I know that I am exactly who I am supposed to be.

Just wanted to remember that! This is more for me than for anyone else!

2 comments:

testmonkey said...

The best cookies don't come from cookie cutters. You can tell because they look like this.

Chow said...

HAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!!!!! LOVE IT!!! This made my day!